Saturday, February 16, 2008 ♥2/16/2008
'My brother, Forever'
The breeze rides pass my face as i look numbly at the grave. The engravinqs on the stone are meticulary don, and a closer look would reveal that this young man lived for only nineteen years. I stared at the stone, and abandoned memories come runninq back to me, This time, i let the sadness in. I know that iy will take me sown memory lane to places I have promised myself never to return. But today is different. Today, i will try to mend the tear in my heart.
It began two years ago, when he felt that tehre was no promise in life. It did not matter that he was not a good student. He was intelligent, bright and caring. And he loved me.
He dropped out of school, He was lonely, and even my parent shunned him. Depressed and helpless, he surrended himeself to everythinq, anyone, willing to accept him. Busy with school and own social life, I was lefy in the dark about anythinq taht went on in his life. Now, whem i think od it, i cannort believe hpw little i had known, espescially about someone who lived under the same roof.
All i knew was that he would walk into the house way after midnight, his clothinq soiled and his in a mess. The smell of smoke mingling with perfume would drift intyo my room, and that was the only significance of his return. He never made a sound.
He was unemployed, and my parents refused to give him any pocket money. But he was rich. His cupboard was packed with expensive clothes, and he could afford anythinq in the world.
I was more auspicious than worried. " i dont understand where you get all that money." i told him one rate night taht saw him home before bedtime. He laughed kindly, and told me not to worried. I saw the familar sad little boy in his eyes, and didnt ask anymore. I tried not to think about it, but i could not. It haunted me like a mad ghost, not wantinq to let go.
That was the begininq, As the time went by, I saw less and less of him, My parents did not miss him, but i did. I missed the person i used to confine in, and i missed the kind, happy face.
One day, my rabbit hopped into his room. I chased after it, but it was too fas. I surveyed the mess in his room, and i knew i could never find it among the heaps of dirty clothed, Cleverly, I stood at the door and listened hard. To my delight, I heard teh sound of crackling plastic, and followed by it, my rabiit tail.I swiftly lifted its soft, furry body, and held it in front of my eyes. A small packet of white powder fell in its mouth . My eyes shifted from the fallen oject to the rabbit and i screamed. Its eyes were wide open, and its small mouth was agape. Its limb jerked forward and backwwards as if in a trance, This lasted for no more than five sconds, but its was enough to send me rushinq to the vet with the poor rabbit in my arms.
The vet could not help it, and i rememeber his low, suspicious voice. " your rabbit died of drug overdose. its called herion. heard of it ? " He stared at me for a moment before he hurried away.
i could do nothing that day. I went home in daze, and swept up in an empty tissue box and went to sleep .
I must have slept for a long time, because when i woke up, i heard someone leavinqq the house, and the vlock read three in the morininqq.
It was him going out. But at this late hour? I felt for my glasses, and quietly followed him out of the house.
I regconised his shadow , and followed it to a dark alley. The density of the place was overwhelming, and the play of the shadow against the brick and concrete almost gave me away, but i was nimble on my feet and was quicly to aviod the streetlights.
I saw him stop in the middle of an open sapce, Someone- a short plump figure- came towards him. I saw hands exchanqinq money for enormous packets. I heard the vet voice. " Its called herion, heard of it? "
And then eveythinq happened in a flash. A groups of boys armed with stricks rushed out from nowhere and attacked the short man. Through all the flyinq punshed. I saw
him pick up a stick from a floor and land a final blow on the short man"s head. Then everything was calm agian, as if nothinq had happend.
Suddenly, he turned around, and i knew that he had seen me. I watched with terror as he stranined his eyes towards me, makinq a greater hooror of the mask that had replaced his face. He slashed his throat with his finger to illustrate the gravity of crime. I turned and ran home. With tremblinq hands, I called the police.
They camed in a few minutes, and laid an ambush in the garden. when he stepped through the gate, they took him away. I watched from the window shouldered man had become. As he was led away, He looked up at me. He blessed with. My eyes met his, and isaw tears runninq down his face. I had never seen him cry before, and i looked sadly away.
I found out sometime later that he had been sentenced to death. In that few weeks, My parents spoke more bout him more than they ever had throughtout his lifetime. It made me relise how someone so right could go so wrong, and it broke my heart just thinkinq of it.
At that moment, I regretted what i done, But now, I know tha there was no wrong in what i did.
as i look at the flowers near my feet, I felt the tear in my heart close up. I can never run from teh sadness again, because i hace sealed it in me.But i will turn it into my most precious memory, and i leave it where i will leave my childhood in this moment of reflection.
If i could turn back the time, I wouldnt , because by doing what i had done, i had saved others from the one i had caused teh death of, no matter how much he loved me, no matter how much i loved him.
______END_______
this story iis damn ''ke liian'' lorhs,